LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JW-JnJ

Launch Root Actor from Project Context

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.

I would like the ability to launch a root actor to test without creating a new VI for each new actor I want to test. This has the added benefit of not having to search for your launcher VI in a sea of open VIs and project items.

Launch Root Actor Menu.png

This could just call the launch root actor with the clicked actor and set it to visible.

Josh
Software is never really finished, it's just an acceptable level of broken
4 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

This feels like a bad idea to me. You're asking LV IDE to create a launcher VI in the user space that isn't under user control. Not something I advocate doing. Then this VI would (presumably) be deleted when it stops running.

I can see where you're coming from, but some association between the launcher VI and the actor VI seems like a better idea to me.

Anyone else in the community have thoughts on this? I don't want to decline this idea immediately, but it makes me nervous.

JW-JnJ
Active Participant

I was picturing one of two things:

1. The script just calling "Launch Root Actor.vi". I'm unsure of all of the repercussions of this, but I had assumed the launching script would run to completion due to asynchronous calling.
  2. Searching for a "Launch Actor.vi" and calling it. If not, creating it, then calling it.
Josh
Software is never really finished, it's just an acceptable level of broken
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Oh. Hm... yeah... I can see how that might work. I had in my head that the launcher needed to stay around, but we don't even need the launcher VI.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.