LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
GregFreeman

Larger Queue VI icons

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.

When working on a queued statemachine today, I realized its difficult to keep the wires straight. Usually you want one error wire going through your queue functions and into your subVIs but lining them up to keep the error wire straight often causes wires connected to the top connection terminal to get in each others way. If the queue functions icons were taller, this problem would be eliminated. See attached pictures

Message Edited by for(imstuck) on 02-05-2010 02:37 PM
5 Comments
altenbach
Knight of NI

Well, if you would release the queue after the upper loop instead, you would not even need to wire the queue output out of the "dequeue element" primitive in the lower loop. 😉 Problem solved.

I would vote strongly against arbitrarily changing the sizes of icons, just to cater to one specific code layout. Your suggested new size would no longer fit for most typical code and would make a mess out of all existing code during version upgrades.

GregFreeman
Trusted Enthusiast
Well, in that case, i need to redesign my layout 🙂
Mads
Active Participant

And what do you plan to do if the "PWR" VI is a VI that also has an output that needs to go to a VI that happens to be after a que function....which one should then be made the biggest?

Avoiding overlaps are a bit overrated I think, sometimes the code looks cleaner if you keep the wires straight even though they will pass through other nodes...but yes, sometimes it's better to wire around to avoid confusion. What's not OK though are the icons that force non-straight wiring, like the from-variant-function.

You will never avoid the problem alltogether though unless you add the idea someone posted here about making "wireless" connections - where you create wire end-points with labels that refer to a continuation somewhere else.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)
This is not a problem for the queue prims. It's a cosmetic issue for LV generally. The actual solution (not that I'm saying this is actually being investigated or anything) is to make all terminals larger such that a 4x2x2x4 conpane provides terminals that are the same height as a typical constant (string, path, numeric, boolean, etc) so that the constant straight wired to the terminal does not touch the wire above it. Or make the constants smaller.
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.