LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cwkao

LabVIEW different version show on the icon

May be the different version can show on the icon.

Smiley Wink

LV Icon change.jpg

5 Comments
RavensFan
Knight of NI

Which icons are you talking about?  The ones in Windows Explorer?  If so, I don't think that can be done.  Those icons are associated to a file extension by Windows.  Windows has no way of inspecting a .vi file to determine which LabVIEW version created it.  It just knows .vi=LabVIEW.

I think there was another idea on the exchange discussing this already.  I would just have to find it.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

RavensFan is correct. File extensions in Windows get one icon.

Now, we could associate an image with a file such that if you were to view thumbnails you could see something different, but the basic files view would show one and only one image.

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

Looking in Windows 7, every view from medium icons and up can actually show file-specific custom information (e.g. if it's a PDF file, it can show a preview). Presumably, this is done by a handler which NI would have to write, which should be doable, since I believe the version info can be extracted directly from the file without loading. If one knows how to write such handlers (and I'm assuming Microsoft has some documentation for it) you probably don't even need NI for this.

This might (or might not, depending on the space in the specific view) clash with other requests made here, such as requests to show the icon of the VI.

tst: Do you have info about a specific API we could investigate to give Windows this ability? As I said above, I thought that was only possible for the thumbnails. I have not investigated the Windows APIs in this area in a long time.

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

You simply write a Windows Shell Extension, in this case an Icon Handler which is what I did after seeing this idea a few years ago:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/VI-Control-Icon-is-File-Browser-Icon/idi-p/1688584

It must be easy for the pros at NI, it took me just a couple of hours to write the one to display the actual VI icon instead of the generic VI icon (most of the time was reinventing the wheel to extract the icon data, not a problem for NI).  Simply adding an overlay similar to SCC is almost trivial.  

If NI hurries, the top new feature of LV15 could be new icons for VI files....