ouadji

LVPROJ : Rename a folder

lvproj : be able to rename a folder

SR2.png

SR3.png

22 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

I just did an experiement hoping that the Move on Disk would do the job.  Nope, it just moves the selected folder to another folder location.  And I know of times where this renaming of a folder would be quite helpful.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
ouadji
Trusted Enthusiast

@crossrulz :

I just did an experiement hoping that the Move on Disk would do the job

No, it's a shame. I thought that too.  Smiley Frustrated

PaulG.
Active Participant

The LV project environment really needs to be a lot more transparent with the native OS. I would give the LV Project environment an "A" if it were a little more seamless. I think that would alleviate many of the conflicts I get in the project environment.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
ToeCutter
Active Participant

Definitely needed.

GerdW
Knight of NI

Hm, I opened a project. Then I click on a project's folder name like I used to in WindowsExplorer. Wait a second (or two) and you can rename the folder as you could do to a folder in WinExplorer…

Did I miss an important fact here?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
crossrulz
Knight of NI

@GerdW

Were you in the Files view?  That isn't working for me.  Now in the Items view, you can rename virtual folders that way.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
JÞB
Knight of NI

OK, I'll say it again. STOP Auto-populating your project's virtual folders!

Why would you want to rename one of the OS's Folders from a LabVIEW Development Enviornment?  Can you do it from Acrobat? Office? a web browser? Notepad?  nope, nope, nope, nope!

BUT, you do have that "Explore..." Right there on top to launch OS-Explorer (Windows Explorer in this case) and engage the resource that owns "folder renaming" 

At the risk of sounding harsh, I'll say it anyway.  This idea is absurd. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
fabric
Active Participant

Jeff: The idea may be absurd to you, but it would have quite a lot of value for me. I suspect we probably like different foods too! Smiley Tongue

The key point here is that LabVIEW relies quite heavily on knowing where files are, and if you close your project, rename some folders, and then reopen your project you are often met with a long list of confused callers. 

Why then would you frown upon a tool that allows you to *safely* achieve the same result from within the project itself, thereby eliminating all the "caller confusion"? My guess is that *you* don't rename things... but many of us do!

Anyway, a simple solution would seem to be to allow the Move on Disk function to perform an optional rename. Kudos for that!

ouadji
Trusted Enthusiast

fabric :

and if you close your project, rename some folders, and then reopen your project

you are often met with a long list of confused callers.    +1

My guess is that *you* don't rename things... but many of us do!     +1

JÞB
Knight of NI

@ouadji wrote:

lvproj : be able to rename a folder

SR2.png

SR3.png

Certianly I rename things.

Certianly, I use the project explorer to move the files in my project!  And, within windows (the OS)

How often did you take you father's car?  Did you park it where he expected too find it?

The owner of the thing should be aware of where it is located!  If that is "Daddy's car" or an lvlib member.

Use projet exploer to move items.  use windows explorer to create conflicts.  then resolve the conflicts. MO. I'll try the formerSmiley Surprised

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay