LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CantankerousBullMoose

LVCompare should not load subVI block diagrams or else CLI should have an option for this

This idea is currently in the LabVIEW NXG backlog. For LabVIEW 20xx, I'm moving the idea back to the 'New' status to be considered for a future LabVIEW 20xx release.

A pretty common use case of LVCompare in my workflow is to use it as a diff tool in SVN to compare different versions of a VI. When I do that, the previous version is downloaded into a temp directory, and then there is a decent amount of load time because dependency paths have to be resolved differently for the version in the temp directory and some recompiling happens. For top-level VIs in large applications, it seems like the whole dependency tree is getting loaded, which takes a long time. But really, for comparing VIs, there's no need to load the contents of lower level subVIs (and their dependencies, and dependencies of dependencies, etc.) As long as the connector pane, typedefs on the connector pane, and the icon of a subVI are loaded, that should be enough information for a visual diff of the top level VI.

4 Comments
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Development

TroyK
Active Participant

I love this idea because I use LVCompare regularly and for the same reason.
What I did as a workaround was call my own compiled app that then called LVCompare.exe

But first it copies the second file to compare into the folder with the first file after appending a filename suffix like _temp.

After the compare is complete it deletes the temp file.

Troy - CLD "If a hammer is the only tool you have, everything starts to look like a nail." ~ Maslow/Kaplan - Law of the instrument
Intaris
Proven Zealot

I had missed this idea.

This would massively speed up the automated SVN compares I do.

Can't wait for this feature.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: New

This idea is currently in the LabVIEW NXG backlog. For LabVIEW 20xx, I'm moving the idea back to the 'New' status to be considered for a future LabVIEW 20xx release.