LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rickard

Kill Resetting VI-process

Clipboard01.png

Am I the only one that get forever waits when this dialog shows up? LabVIEW hangs "eternally" in this dialog and only way to keep working is to kill LabVIEW hard.

I need a button that skips the resetting so that I can go back to my code without having to restart LabVIEW!

5 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Believe it or not, that dialog does clear sometimes. LV cannot tell the difference between a hang that will never clear and a VI hierarchy with a lot of deallocation to do at the end of its run.

If you're seeing that dialog regularly in cases where it never clears, there's a bug in LabVIEW. Please, if you can, contact tech support and let them take a look at your code to see if we can find what's wrong.

DJed

Actually, this can happen (hangs while showing that dialog) without it being a LabVIEW bug.  If the user code is currently running in an external dll, perhaps through a Call Library Function Node, then that external dll code could take forever or just a long time.  Check the VI's mentioned for any CLFN's.

Yamaeda
Proven Zealot

A very helpful tool is a Kill'em'all VI which loops through all VI's in memory and aborts them. Set it to Run when opened.

It's saved me many Lv process terminations.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Alexander_Sobolev
Active Participant

Is it even possible in case 3-d party driver or .net is not responding and does not allow to abort VI?

When you kill LabVIEW (all labview vis in instance), OS clears all child processes. When you restart, driver goes through initialization procedure from beginning.. LabVIEW can kill part of the driver processes (other parts are used by VIs that you offer not to reset), but how to revert it (and associated equipment) back to good state that was before vi has run? 

Button "LabVIEW: commit suicide and restart" would be usefull not to go to task manager to kill labview instance, but it does not take long.

Станев

Same problem here in LV 2016- I have to kill LV with the Windows task Manager. This happens when using subpanels.