From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JÞB

Indicate / Select "Sticky corner" on Front Panels

The "Sticky Corner" is the location that remains fixed when resizing a Front Panel By default this is the Top Left corner. Any one of the four corners can be selected as the sticky corner from the Right-Click menu at the bottom right between the scroll bars (if any scroll bars are visable).

Sticky Origin.png

A few drawbacks that I see.  I need to navagate this RCM in order to determine the sticky corner and I can't just quickly change it.  Here is a common use case where some additions might speed up development time.

Start with this new vi that I'm about to save.

Sticky1.png

See those glyphs in the corners? I hope they can be done a bit smother by someone else.

Since I don't want to save the vi with this much wasted front panel. I grab the lower right corner and shrink it to set the lower right area

Sticky2.png

Then Click the bottom right glyph to stick that corner!  Now I can continue resizing in the same direction with the origin stuck to a new location. until I get a nice sized and well centered FP.

Sticky3.png

A Double click on that lower right glyph can then be used to "Toss Across" the sticky corner back to the opposite corner where I usually expect it.  No painful menu navagations and no guessing with scrollbars a three second operation to correctly resize and position my FP before saving.  Sweet!

Thanks

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
4 Comments
yenknip
Active Participant

I'm sure I've read this idea somewhere before, but I can't find it for the life of me.

In any case, I kudo this idea.

I didn't even know about the sticky corners... I'd just get midly frustrated when resizing things: lower left corner, scroll, upper right, scroll, lower left... and once I'm done, I promptly forget about it.

Just the fact that you informed me about sticky corners earns you a Kudo. Plus I like the Idea, so there's that...

JB
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Here is how I resize a VI (assuming the default "Origin Sticks to Top" and "Origin Sticks to Left" configurations are activated) :

1. Ctrl+A on the front panel to select all its content or Shift+Right-Click to show the Tool Palette and select Scrolling
  2. Move the content of the front panel to the upper left corner.
  3. Resize the front panel in one operation from the lower right corner.
JB
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Two VIs from the OpenG Application Control library could also be your friends.

Fit VI window to Content.jpg

Fit VI window to Largest Decoration.jpg

For most of my UI VIs, I use the second VI to resize the front panel according to a decoration which surrounds the part of the front panel which must be visible.