From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulLotz

Include ability to rename shared variable libraries as part of build specification

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.

I suggest that the LabVIEW application builder should include an option to rename shared variable libraries (i.e., add an index to the existing name) when building an application.  This is necessary for replicating an application.

For instance, for a component we developed we host shared variables on MyComputer (so that we can use DSC functionalities).  Applications on MyComputer (the view) and on a cRIO (the controller) read and write the shared variable values.

Now we want to clone these applications so that we can run multiple instances of them.  In particular, there will now be six instances of the cRIO application, each deployed on a separate cRIO; there will be six instances of the MyComputer application as well, but these will all run on the same PC.  Currently we anticipate (we have not done this yet) that we will be able to create six build files, each pointing to a separate aliases files, in order to handle the fact that the cRIOs will have unique IP addresses.  On the other hand, there is no way to handle building unique shared variable libraries in the application builder.  At the moment we can edit the project manually by changing the library name (e.g., add ‘A’ to the prototype name), then building the application, and repeating the process six times.  This is not especially difficult, but it is not a good long-term solution, since any change will require someone to repeat this process (and more importantly, know that they must do this!).  I suggest this functionality should be part of the build specification itself.

2 Comments
Vaibhav
Active Participant

I support this idea because I am also in a similar situation where cloning of Shared Variables themselves (or libraries containing them) would be very much handy.

I need to create Shared Variables online during run-time. And instead of defining their buffer properties (which is very easy if the Shared Variable were created manually before deploying, using Project Explorer window), which could be tricky in case of a complex data type, we could just copy the "template" Shared Variable which was defined with careful consideration of buffering. Because while programmatically creating a Shared Variable, on Online mode (with purple wire) the buffering properties are not quite clear. For example, in case of "1D Array of Double Waveform" data type, it took me some time to map all the buffering value fields to the properties available in Online mode settings of buffering values. And still not sure if I could crack it well.

An ability to clone an existing Shared Variable will make things easy for many reasons.

Vaibhav
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.