LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darren

Include LabVIEW Version Number in Application Icon

Implemented in LabVIEW 2014

When you develop with multiple LabVIEW versions, it is sometimes difficult to identify which version you're using or launching based on the icon of the LabVIEW EXE:

taskbar.png

Here's my Windows 7 taskbar with, among other things, LabVIEW 8.0, 8.5, 8.6, and 2009 icons.  Which one is which?  There are ways to tell, but it sure would be easiest if the version number were overlayed on the icon.  Note the Visual Studio 9.0 icon in the taskbar...I think we should do something very similar with the application icons of future LabVIEW releases.

NOTE: The icon should also reflect differences between the 32-bit version of LabVIEW and the 64-bit version of LabVIEW

28 Comments
Darren
Proven Zealot

BOOYAH!

User002
Not applicable

One quick add to this idea:  Please include the 32/64 bit identifier, that would be nice to see at a glance as well.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Beta

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

Implemented in LabVIEW 2014

crossrulz
Knight of NI

This one must be really satisfying for you, Darren.  You get to mark your own idea as completed!

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Darren
Proven Zealot

Not only that, but it's also the "top" LabVIEW 2014 feature! 😉

crossrulz
Knight of NI

I'm so gald I wasn't drinking anything when I read that.  I would need an entire new work setup.  Good to see NI R&D can still poke fun at NI Marketing.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Jim_Kring
Trusted Enthusiast
Hi all! I've just released a package to add version icons to LabVIEW 2009 through 2013. http://blog.jki.net/labview/new-labview-tool-lv-2009-2013-icon-version-overlay/