LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darren

Include LabVIEW Version Number in Application Icon

Implemented in LabVIEW 2014

When you develop with multiple LabVIEW versions, it is sometimes difficult to identify which version you're using or launching based on the icon of the LabVIEW EXE:

taskbar.png

Here's my Windows 7 taskbar with, among other things, LabVIEW 8.0, 8.5, 8.6, and 2009 icons.  Which one is which?  There are ways to tell, but it sure would be easiest if the version number were overlayed on the icon.  Note the Visual Studio 9.0 icon in the taskbar...I think we should do something very similar with the application icons of future LabVIEW releases.

NOTE: The icon should also reflect differences between the 32-bit version of LabVIEW and the 64-bit version of LabVIEW

28 Comments
crelf
Trusted Enthusiast
That would be cool, but a quick mouse-over shows the version in a tip strip (well, in Windows it does at least...)

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
Darren
Proven Zealot

Here's what a "quick mouse-over" shows in Windows 7 (and would also show if someone was using default-named shortcuts in XP/Vista):

lv_mouseover.png

Not so helpful.  And even if you do have your shortcuts appropriately named, an instantaneous glance at a versioned icon is still faster than a mouse-over.

Neil.Pate
Active Participant

Darren,I know this is not strictly on the topic of your idea, but what does the task bar look like if you have 20+ VIs open (all showing only the first five letters of the lvlib name 😞

I am just jealous you are getting to play with W7 (stuck on XP here...)

Darren
Proven Zealot

The redesigned taskbar in Windows 7 is the #1 reason I am enjoying this new OS.  Here's what it looks like if you have lots of VIs open:

lots_of_vis.png

-D

Neil.Pate
Active Participant

Cool,

now all we need is a differnt icon for FP and BD windows in the list and I will be in development nirvana. 

RavensFan
Knight of NI

NRP,

You might want to post that as a new Idea.  I'd kudo it.

muks
Proven Zealot
yup nice point.
A-T-R
Ray.R
Knight of NI

Good suggestion Darren.

And I support nrp's suggestion.

GregFreeman
Trusted Enthusiast
Can I borrow one of your versions? I'd take 2009 please. You seem to have enough 🙂