LabVIEW Idea Exchange

About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
Top Kudoed Authors
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Include LabVIEW Version Number in Application Icon

When you develop with multiple LabVIEW versions, it is sometimes difficult to identify which version you're using or launching based on the icon of the LabVIEW EXE:

taskbar.png

Here's my Windows 7 taskbar with, among other things, LabVIEW 8.0, 8.5, 8.6, and 2009 icons.  Which one is which?  There are ways to tell, but it sure would be easiest if the version number were overlayed on the icon.  Note the Visual Studio 9.0 icon in the taskbar...I think we should do something very similar with the application icons of future LabVIEW releases.

NOTE: The icon should also reflect differences between the 32-bit version of LabVIEW and the 64-bit version of LabVIEW

Darren Nattinger, CLA
LabVIEW Artisan and Nugget Penman
28 Comments
Example Gatekeeper

BOOYAH!

Darren Nattinger, CLA
N/A

One quick add to this idea:  Please include the 32/64 bit identifier, that would be nice to see at a glance as well.

Example Gatekeeper
Status changed to: In Beta

Darren Nattinger, CLA
Example Gatekeeper
Status changed to: Completed

Implemented in LabVIEW 2014

Darren Nattinger, CLA
N/A

This one must be really satisfying for you, Darren.  You get to mark your own idea as completed!

There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines

The discussions from the Advanced User Track is not over. Join in the conversation: 2016 Advanced Users Track
Example Gatekeeper

Not only that, but it's also the "top" LabVIEW 2014 feature! Smiley Wink

Darren Nattinger, CLA
N/A

I'm so gald I wasn't drinking anything when I read that.  I would need an entire new work setup.  Good to see NI R&D can still poke fun at NI Marketing.

There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines

The discussions from the Advanced User Track is not over. Join in the conversation: 2016 Advanced Users Track
N/A
Hi all! I've just released a package to add version icons to LabVIEW 2009 through 2013. http://blog.jki.net/labview/new-labview-tool-lv-2009-2013-icon-version-overlay/
Thinking in G