NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
We've turned on a search before post feature in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. This new feature will help cut down on the number of duplicate ideas in this space!

The NI Idea Exchange is a product feedback forum where NI R&D and users work together to submit ideas, collaborate on their development, and vote for the ones they like best. View all of the NI Idea Exchanges to post an idea or add your opinion on an existing one today!
Darren

Include LabVIEW Version Number in Application Icon

by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎10-13-2009 04:10 PM - last edited on ‎01-09-2012 03:34 PM by Active Participant JordanG

When you develop with multiple LabVIEW versions, it is sometimes difficult to identify which version you're using or launching based on the icon of the LabVIEW EXE:

taskbar.png

Here's my Windows 7 taskbar with, among other things, LabVIEW 8.0, 8.5, 8.6, and 2009 icons.  Which one is which?  There are ways to tell, but it sure would be easiest if the version number were overlayed on the icon.  Note the Visual Studio 9.0 icon in the taskbar...I think we should do something very similar with the application icons of future LabVIEW releases.

NOTE: The icon should also reflect differences between the 32-bit version of LabVIEW and the 64-bit version of LabVIEW

Implemented in LabVIEW 2014

Comments
by Active Participant crelf on ‎10-13-2009 04:54 PM
That would be cool, but a quick mouse-over shows the version in a tip strip (well, in Windows it does at least...)
by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎10-13-2009 05:00 PM

Here's what a "quick mouse-over" shows in Windows 7 (and would also show if someone was using default-named shortcuts in XP/Vista):

lv_mouseover.png

Not so helpful.  And even if you do have your shortcuts appropriately named, an instantaneous glance at a versioned icon is still faster than a mouse-over.

by Active Participant Neil.Pate on ‎10-14-2009 10:36 AM

Darren,I know this is not strictly on the topic of your idea, but what does the task bar look like if you have 20+ VIs open (all showing only the first five letters of the lvlib name :-(

I am just jealous you are getting to play with W7 (stuck on XP here...)

by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎10-14-2009 11:14 AM

The redesigned taskbar in Windows 7 is the #1 reason I am enjoying this new OS.  Here's what it looks like if you have lots of VIs open:

lots_of_vis.png

-D

by Active Participant Neil.Pate on ‎10-14-2009 03:29 PM

Cool,

now all we need is a differnt icon for FP and BD windows in the list and I will be in development nirvana. 

by Knight of NI on ‎10-14-2009 07:43 PM

NRP,

You might want to post that as a new Idea.  I'd kudo it.

by Proven Zealot on ‎10-15-2009 02:24 AM
yup nice point.
by Knight of NI on ‎10-22-2009 07:04 AM

Good suggestion Darren.

And I support nrp's suggestion.

by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎02-04-2010 05:17 PM
Can I borrow one of your versions? I'd take 2009 please. You seem to have enough :smileyhappy:
Latest LabVIEW Idea Exchange Blog Posts
About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count