LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JeffreyH

Improved XControl property read/write VIs (and maybe accessor support like classes)

National Instruments will not be implementing this idea. There is no further feature development planned for XControls.

The templates for XControl properties are quite simple, the standerd input and output controls and the boolean Value control. Nine out of ten times however I find myself doing the same action for every property I create, namely inserting a 'bundle by name' node between Display state in and out, selecting the correct element, change the Value control to the correct datatype and align and wire unbundle node to the value control for a write property and doing something similar with an unbundle for the read property.

Wouldn't it be nice to have the template already have the bundle/unbundle node already inserted and aligned?

Or, even better, wouldn't it be very nice if the "Create Property" dialog would optionally let us select an element from the Display State cluster and just create the code for us.. Look ma, no programming! Smiley Happy

4 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

In the meantime, feel free to edit your own XControl templates (thanks LaRisa_S)!

Kudos for Ideas that more closely merge the definitions of and interactions with XControls and LVOOP.

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

I would say that this should be an extra option - you can either create a property like you do today or you can create an accessor like classes have. This is because not all properties have direct correlation to the elements in the state cluster.

Jeffery,

Kudos for the idea.

It will certainly help to have configuration based property creation as an option.

Thanks,

Ram Kudukoli.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

National Instruments will not be implementing this idea. There is no further feature development planned for XControls.