LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wahnils

Improve adding sub-VIs in Inheritance Dialog Box for LabVIEW Classes

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Wouldn't it be nice to just check/ uncheck existing sub-VIs of parent classes in the Inheritance Dialog Box?

current Inheritance Dialog Box:

Inheritance-Dialog-Box_now.png

adding overwrite VIs:

Inheritance_Pop-up_overwrite-VIs_now.png

Suggestion:

Inheritance-Dialog-Box_suggestion.png

11 Comments
PNR

Not entirely sure what you mean by that. As fas as I understand, you want the Inheritance dialog to automatically override VIs for new child classes?

wahnils

Well not automatically, but the chance to choose from a list of "overwrite VIs" of the parent class. Just to create the VIs I need within my new child class. Instead of going the long way over the sub menu - which I still need if something needs to be added later.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Ah. Now I understand what you're asking for.

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

I'd be happy with a single checkbox to automatically create all of  the Must Override VIs.

PNR

A checkbox for Must Override VIs sounds very good and I would vote for that! 

I'm not yet convinced about how a checkbox for each single override VI does anything more helpfull than the existing solution. While Must Override VIs make perfect sense, selection of any other override VI depends on your specific implementation. If your implementation has to implement an override VI which you didn't select from the inheritance dialog, you would still have to manually override it from the existing menu (or go back to the inheritance dialog). The inheritance would only save a couple of clicks in my opinion and not even that, considered that you can already select multiple entries from the existing Select VIs for Override dialog.

Maybe I'm overseeing something?

wahnils

First: I do not want the exisiting dialog to be replaced.

Second: I totally agree with Darin.K that a single checkbox only for must overwrite VIs seems to be a good idea. (Because depending on the implementation the list can be very long and changes can still be made in the existing dialog.)

Third: I might have choosen the example poorly, because it also shows methode VIs your are not supposed to overwrite.

PS: Can I actually update my own idea?

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

A checkbox? This isn't a setting, it's an action. How about a button?

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

> A checkbox? This isn't a setting, it's an action. How about a button?

???  The action is changing inheritance, the option is to create the must overrides at the same time.

When do you propose this new button be pushed? I am not seeing it (other than ways that involve extra clicks and actions). 

There is an important distinction:

Checkbox:  Set up options (inheritance and overrides), click button to Inherit from selected.  Get a cup of coffee and everything is finished.

Button:  Set up inheritance.  click button.  Get half a cup of coffee.  click another button to create Must Override VIs, finish your cup of coffee.

LV in general, LVOOP in particular, has a knack for the action-pause-action-pause-action-pause workflow and half of the pauses seem to be for no particular reason.  Assuming the pauses are real, I prefer the action-action-action-pause-pause-pause workflow.  I am one person so cooperative multitasking is required and single longer pauses are more efficient than several short ones since my thread switching is slow.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> The action is changing inheritance, the option is to create the must overrides at the same time.

I was assuming you'd want this button at lots of times, not just the moment of changing inheritance. Maybe you inherit from X and then you sync a new copy of X and X has added 15 new Must Override VIs. So you go hit the button in the properties window.

The particular UI element is kind of irrelevant to the idea which is to make it possible to instantiate the overrides more easily than you can today and as near to the point where you set inheritance as possible. We'll keep this idea in mind as work progresses on the overall class experience.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.