LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RavensFan

Improve Click Timing on Cursor Button Pad on Graphs

Reference conversation in this thread: Speed of Cursor Clicks on graph

The cursor button pad for changing the position of the cursor is overly sensitive to the duration of the click in how far to move the cursor.  A normal button click sometimes move the cursor one tick like you'd expect.  Sometimes it jumps several positions.  It requires an exceptionally quick click to keep it from jumping to far.  The button pad is designed so that if you hold down the button, it moves continuously.  But what is a normal single click gets interpreted as a button hold.

There needs to be more of a delay between when a button goes down to when it gets intepreted as a hold before repeating the cursor.  Some usability testing may be needed, but perhaps a delay of 1/2 to 1 second.  I believe Windows has a setting that determines when a double click is treated a double click or two single clicks, that timing might apply here.

If you are uncertain what I am talking about, create a graph with some data.  Make the cursor palette visible and add a cursor.  Try to click the button left or right to make it move just a single tick.

One more thing to improve.  When doing this while the VI is not running and is in edit mode, sometimes a button click on the pad winds up distortingn the diamond shaped button rather than being interpreted as a click.

6 Comments
Blokk
Trusted Enthusiast

About the distortion problem in edit mode: this is a general issue in LabVIEW, not only specific for graph cursor button pad. I often get this behaviour when i try to click on a Boolean switch for example which is small in size. I can accidentally click on the border of the button thus changing its size. This is a kind of disadvantage using the automatic hand tool. If you set it non automatic, you will not get this problem...

RavensFan
Knight of NI

I don't think we should be able to distort the button shapes by way of just clicking.  It seems like it should only be accessible if you go through Advanced >> Edit Control.  But this was just a tack on message about click problems with the button pad.  The key thought is the timing issue.

Blokk
Trusted Enthusiast

Yes, you are right. I forgot about that this thing should not be editable unless in customize mode...

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I tend to hide the cursor button pad (which I understand could be necessary if no mouse is available), but I sympathize with your plea, although slowing down things too much would go against using the button pad as a kind of repacement mouse/trackpad for the cursor. A shift modifier could be used to speed up modification (as it is used for incrementing array index or scrolling through a diagram, for instance). 

RavensFan
Knight of NI

X.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about any physical buttons on a PC or laptop, but the graphical part of a graph you can show so that you can move the cursor in the graph that is highlighted in the picture above.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

For whatever reason, I thought it was possible to assign the arrow keys to these buttons, but of course it isn't.