LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X.

Implement Symlog scales

Graphs allow displaying data in linear or log scale.

This doesn't go without glitches, so my first suggestion would be fix all the annoying bugs which exist.

But a common way to get motivated to fix a bug being to implement a few feature, here is a unique opportunity:

Implement symmetric log scales (aka symlog scale) on all Graphs

What is a symlog scale, you will ask?

It is a log scale accepting negative arguments.

If x > 0, then Log(x) is computed (and labeled "x", hence the log scale apparence).

if x < 0, -Log(-x) is computer and labeled "x"

To get a visual representation of what this all mean, Google "symlog scale" and you will most likely end up on this page from which I am linking this figure:

Of course this should work on both axes (or all 3 axes for a 3D Graph).

The benefit is that when a curve has negative values, using a log scale to represent the plot results in a clipped plot. All negative values are gone, leaving gaps in the plot. The only way to visualize them is to revert to a linear scale, which now clumps all small positive values to pretty much the same location on the axis.

4 Comments
dthor
Active Participant

>>  if x < 0, -Log(-x) is computed and labeled "x"

Do you mean "if x < 0, -Log(Abs(x)) is computed and labeled "-x"?

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

No (although abs(x) = -x if x<0).

I mean what I wrote and the illustration makes clear what that means.

dthor
Active Participant

Oh, yes, I misread it. I think that using Abs(x) is more clear than '-x'.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

OK, here is the special (and identical) version for dthor:

if x<0, -Log(Abs(x)) is computed and labeled -Abs(x)

In fact, it is a bit more subtle than what is captured by this simple formula, since the scale is linear around 0.

The idea is that if you are interested in values between 10^-m to 10^M, (m & M >0) (irrespective of their sign), the axis comprises ticks for Log(Abs(x)) = -m, -m+1, ..., -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, ..., M on both side of the value 0.

These ticks would thus be labeled:

-10ˆM, -10ˆ(M-1),..., -10ˆ0, -10ˆ-1, -10ˆ-2, ..., -10^-m, 0, 10ˆ-m, 10^(-m+1), ..., 10^-1, 10ˆ0, 10ˆ1, ..., 10^M

Values in between -10ˆ-m and +10ˆm would be arranged linearly.

Details can be found on the pyplot documentation page.

I hope this clarify the purpose of a symlog scale.

In particular, it allows representing the value of the function at x = 0 while keeping the advantaged of a log scale.

Note that UI-wise, it would raise some interesting challenge in LabVIEW, since you would need to be able to adjust the 10ˆ-m values as well as the 10^M values independently.

One more reason to get excited as a developer to work on it!