LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
patibandla

Image compression in the Build EXE

Declined, several viable alternatives are listed in the comments section of this idea post.

I am Facing the problem when VIs Having the visual Images in Front panel for Operator Instruction screens.

( such a connecting the Cables, Visual Inspection of Components etc)

If you use these type of visual images the total Executable size increasing huge (my case 150MB beacuse of many products and many Images,images are copies from the *.Jpeg or .png Images.if the LabVIEW can find these image copied on the front panel and able to compress . we can reduce the EXE file size almost 30% of the total size and also taking more time to build and compile

NI have to find is there any technique(now a days many image compression models are avilable) , first compile the code and later add images to front panel once compile.

4 Comments
Intaris
Proven Zealot

JPG is already compressed, as is PNG.

I don't think what you are asking for is really terribly feasible just for a MB or so of space.  Images cost storage space, NI can't change that.

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

I would suggest that you don't embed the images in the EXE. Instead, either create a full help system (using something like HTML or CHM) or load the images dynamically into a picture control. This will also allow you to update the documentation separately from the EXE or the code.

If your EXE is 150 MB and supports many products, it sounds like it might also be a good candidate for a plugin architecture, where all the resources belonging to a specific plugin, including documentation, are saved outside the EXE.

What's the size in MB of these images on disk? Are they scaled according to their size or are they way oversized and resized to a smaller area on the front panel? What is their color depth?

I agree with the others that help images don't belong on the front panel. Install them in a seperate folder and open them e.g. using the default browser.

You could also use a picture indicator and dynamically load the required image as needed.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Declined, several viable alternatives are listed in the comments section of this idea post.