LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgcode

Icon Editor API

Available in LabVIEW 2012

A native Icon Editor API seems a natural evolution for interacting with the new icon layers that appeared in LabVIEW 2009.

The current API is the only way (I know of) to interact programmatically with the Icon Layers.

This is a very handy API that should be polished up and included with LabVIEW. 

You can download the current version here:http://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-8647 

Certified LabVIEW Architect * LabVIEW Champion
7 Comments
jgcode
Active Participant

Some of my feedback and ideas for a public Icon Editor API: http://decibel.ni.com/content/thread/7502

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

In the past six months, that API has been downloaded 5 times. I would hestitate to vote for putting R&D resources on a project without general mass appeal nor apparent commercial benefit. Are there benefits to being able to interact with the VI icon programmatically (assuming I'm not cranking out dozens of new VI's a day, warranting some type of automated icon builder)?

Just playing devil's advocate, giving you an opportunity to sharpen some salesman pitch skills.

ThSa
Active Participant

In the past six months, that API has been downloaded 5 times

Actually, that is not true. I have updated the ZIP file multiple times and whenever a new file is uploaded, the counter is reset.

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

I stand corrected.

Actually, for that counter to be reset is a bad deal. When I'm looking at utilities to download, oftentimes I base judgement on simply how often it has been downloaded. Very Generally Speaking... few downloads equals untested and unpopular, many downloads equals tried and true and popular. Would it be possible to have a cumulative download counter, or leave past revisions with their download count as part of the page?

jgcode
Active Participant

Hi JackDunaway

Yes, resetting the download counters is not the best idea and given that the code was just updated the other day it does skew the data. Therefore, I have been speaking with NI directly to find out the actual times this API has been download and it turns out it is a whopping 1438 times! I think you have been left behind due to your gross generalisations. After all, Eric Bogosian did say in Under Siege 2 that assumptions are the mother of all mess-ups! I recommend downloading it now! 

Kind regards 

-JG 

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: In Beta

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Completed
Available in LabVIEW 2012