LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IanR99

Global version TAG in Build spec directory creation

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.

The addition (in 2013) of the ability to use tags in the directory names of the builders struck me as really useful - normally I build to a ...\MYPROJ\... set of directories (each of the ) then rename ..\MYPROJ\... to ...\MYPROJ x.x.x.x\.... as required. When I read of the ability to use [VersionNumber] and [ProductVersion] tags I thought wahooh - at last an automated mechanism. However when I played with the tags it became clear that each builder (app; Installer; Source) used its own version and did not have access to any other builds' version info. Hence I could not use a single version in all builders. Especially as the Product version is one digit shorter than the others.

Given the principle that the builds now accept tags (akin to macros in my opinion) it would be really useful to have a global version tag (that could be set automatically or manually as present versions) accessible from all builders  in a project for use in directory name creation and ---- to go even further ---- to have this global version available from inside the project VIs so I can use it in my window titles and About boxes (I currently use App Info VIs to get a version, date etc to do this).

1 Comment
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.