LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregFreeman

Get rid of number on default icon

Already available by deselecting Tools >> Options >> Front Panel >> Use numbers in icons of new VIs (1 through 9)

I don't really expect this to get implemented because there are things far more important out there. But, I'm going to post the idea anyways. When creating a new VI, the default icon puts a number in the lower right corner. I have never used this number. I immediately delete it, grab the background color then dump paint to fill in the layer that was removed. You wouldn't think something this little would be so annoying, but it drives me nuts. I am curious if anyone else has similar sentiments?

This is especially annoying for classes because despite designing a default icon for the class, I still have to modify the default on every VI to remove the number!

8 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Turn off the option in Tools >> Options >> Front Panel >> Use numbers in icons of new VIs (1 through 9)

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

While you're there, turn on the option just above it for "Connector pane terminals default to Required". Most devs that I show those two options two like them.

GregFreeman
Trusted Enthusiast

So many options available; unfortunately I haven't memorized them all yet Smiley Tongue

JÞB
Knight of NI

So many options available; unfortunately I haven't memorized them all yet.

It takes a while.  You'll get there!  Do spend time looking through the tools options pages!  There are LOTS of cool checkboxes and whatnots in there! (and a few ini keys you should hope you'll never need that are not there)

Ctrl+Shift+Delete will delete the whole icon with the icon editor open.  Then you can apply one of your templates.  (Just be careful you hit "Shift", "Alt" is almost a muscle memory thing for Windows Victims er.... users)

While we are there.  (Why not?)  The Example Icon Template would be a nice add to those Icon Templates and a nice ini switchable alternate to the current default icon.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Over the years, I've convinced people to let me flip them so the defaults are pretty good for most people. Unfortunately, the numbers are helpful for new users, so that's staying the way it is. The required terminals might get flipped someday. 😉

Darren
Proven Zealot

Greg, are you ok with me closing out this idea as Already Implemented?

GregFreeman
Trusted Enthusiast

Darren, yeah, for sure.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Already Implemented
Already available by deselecting Tools >> Options >> Front Panel >> Use numbers in icons of new VIs (1 through 9)