LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
ToeCutter

Future VI format

Declined because NI is already looking into file format alternatives, so this isn't really an idea that needs votes in order for it to be considered.

At a recent NI days there was discussion indicating NI are looking at alternative, non-binary formats for .VI files, particularly as this could simplify version control in terms of comparison/merging of file modifications.

This is not really an idea I'm looking for popular support for- just wanted to say to the NI chaps, please seriously consider alternatives to XML as I'm not alone in thinking it's a bit bloated and more effort to parse (CPU and implementation) than competing formats. JSON maybe? I just mention this off the top of my head without having put any serious thought into it, which I have no doubt R&D will do.

3 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Many formats have been and will be contemplated.

ToeCutter
Active Participant

Thanks for the response, Aristos. Feel free to close this one if you like as it's not really 'one for a vote'.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Declined because NI is already looking into file format alternatives, so this isn't really an idea that needs votes in order for it to be considered.