From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Abinaya

Front Panel Cluster

Any idea that has received less than 7 kudos within 7 years after posting will be automatically declined.

In Front Panel we see that the Cluster is bound geometrically. It makes it easier for the user to create a cluster this way. But There could be other ways in which a cluster could be created. Say we have a new feature which allows user to group controls into a cluster like lvlib groups vi's, If a way to add controls to a cluster by name is introduced it would give each control freedom to be anywhere inside the front panel and not necessarily bound geometrically inside the present cluster bounds.

Please inform if any such feature already exists.

4 Comments
Mads
Active Participant

I agree, but I also think that the cluster as a whole should not be part of the front panel in the first place. Its frame messes with things like tab navigation, you are bound in the placement (as you mention) etc.

The cluster should not really have a front panel presence at all. You should just be able to make controls members of a cluster on the block diagram. If I create a control I should then be able to right-click on it and make it a member of an excisting cluster. Or create a new cluster and add it - in one operation.

If you double-clicked on the control to get to its terminal on the block-diagram you would be shown the cluster.

Knight of NI

If you don't do it on the front panel then how would you be able to define the datatype so that you can use it for a terminal connection?

Mads
Active Participant

You could have a cluster definition window where you can edit the members of the cluster, rearrange them etc.

As for terminals this would work very similar to what it does today. Click on a terminal and then click on any member of a cluster (which now can be anywhere so you would probably want to add functionality that would highlight all co-members for you, in case you have forgotten which ones they are) - and the cluster is what will be linked to that terminal.

The developers of LabVIEW probably thought that it would inconsistent and hence counter-intuitive to not treat clusters like all other data sources/sinks and that is a good point. However, there are other illogical/artificial consequences of this that justifies treating clusters in a special way.

The cluster as a front-panel construct is unnecessarily allowing the code too much influence on the product/GUI.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 7 kudos within 7 years after posting will be automatically declined.