LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
10Things_Rob

Free Label Default Colors

Any idea that has received less than 8 kudos within 8 years after posting will be automatically declined.

I find it a problem that free labels by default have the same color as native functions; there is no visual distinction in meaning. Hence I always have to change my free label colors... and I expect a lot of people use color on their free labels to mean different things.

*** SUGGESTION/IDEA ***

I suggest allowing the user to set the default FG/BG color of free labels in the LabVIEW Options.

Perhaps a different setting for Front Panels and Block Diagrams would be appropriate; that also would eliminate the "use transparent free labels" option from the Block Diagram options.

*** Other Train of Thought: not a full idea yet ***

As an interesting follow-up to consider I also suggest considering the use cases for free labels. Perhaps there should be a way for the user to create different types of free labels and assign them default colors; if that were the case it would be cool to be able to seach for "High-Priority Labels" in all opan VIs....

3 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

Your first Idea is *bleh* - kinda nice, but not a big deal enough to really care about.

The other train of thought is worth Kudos. Basically, be able to put multiple "tags" on a comment from a pre-defined pool of tags (Bug, Needs Work, initials for code ownership...) The ability to tag comments, comments with hyperlinks, and pop up comments (look at ohmmega's second cool illustration) would sure make navigating code easier, especially in multideveloper environments and with code reviews.

crossrulz
Knight of NI
You should look into JKI's Right Click Framework and vugie's Label Manager plug-in.  It's not exactly what you are looking for, but it works wonderfully.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 8 kudos within 8 years after posting will be automatically declined.