From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
craigp

Faster search palletes

Any idea that has received less than 6 kudos within 6 years after posting will be automatically declined.

I'd love it if the LabVIEW developers optimized the search speed for searching pallettes for VIs.  When I hit the Search button on the Controls pallette, it can take 30 seconds or more before I can search as it says "Populating List...Please Wait."  It would be great if LabVIEW could populate the list as a background task sometime after startup such that when we need this function it would be ready to go without waiting.

4 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

This is basically the same as this idea (my understanding is that both features use exactly the same mechamism). You should note that there is already an option for loading the pallete info in the background (since at least LV 7.0 or so), but I don't know how well it works.

> but I don't know how well it works.

Works great! ... or so I claim as the guy who wrote that feature, and there's no way my opinion could be biased... 🙂

To be a bit more serious, the load in background is the default option that LV ships with. Despite this, many people see a load time hit when they use search. That's because the loading in the background generally takes about three minutes on a common desktop machine if you have no additional LV modules installed. It sneaks in palette loads between mouse clicks. Because of Quick Drop, more and more people are using search right off the bat, long before the background load has a chance to finish.

LV 2011 will improve the palette load speed some -- I don't have the numbers, I've just heard the rumor mill from other developers that this is better. That does NOT mean that I think this idea should be considered "In Beta." It continues to be something that we need to focus on.

Ray.R
Knight of NI

I'll have to check what I have it set to, but I agree that the Search takes forever (forever > 10 sec).

I'll Kudo this idea..  🙂

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 6 kudos within 6 years after posting will be automatically declined.