From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altenbach

Expression Node Redesign

National Instruments will not be implementing this idea. We are not planning on making any cosmetic changes to the Expression Node in LabVIEW.

For reasons outlined in detail in this idea, the the expression node should be redesigned. These vertical lines are too thick and the end arrows are pointless and too busy.

After all, the expression node is basically a [single line|single variable] formula node and for this reason it should look more similar to a formula node.

Here is my suggestion for the redesigned expression node (on the right). The current design is shown on the left for comparison.

Note that the grey left and right borders are exactly matched to the border design of the formula node, making things consistent and intuitive. (Top and bottom should remain single pixel to save diagram space). 

4 Comments
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Whatever...

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

I would prefer ditching the Expression Node and allowing the Formula node to shrink further (especially vertically).  This also fixes the confusion with Convert Units node. 

SHowell73

I like that idea altenbach, never have been a fan of the current expression node....those dark vertical lines just make it hard on the eyes to read expressions, your eyes tend to focus on those lines first and not the information in between....

Steven Howell
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Certified Professional Instructor
Systems Developer
Optimation - Houston
steven.howell@optimation.us
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

National Instruments will not be implementing this idea. We are not planning on making any cosmetic changes to the Expression Node in LabVIEW.