LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ouadji

Exponential Functions Palette

Available in LabVIEW NXG 1.0. The Exponential nodes now include the formula notation in a banner at the bottom of the node image.

se tappe la tête.gif    original5.png   fou_2.gif

fou-5.giffou-5.gif

but ...

pouce_levé.giforiginal6.pngpouce_levé.gif

same problem for all functions from the Exponential Functions Palette

Bench_1.png

much more clear, readable and explicit

16 Comments
dthor
Active Participant

Actually I think the icons for the exponential functions are clear. If you look at them, they are displaying exactly a plot of what they're doing (except for x^(1/y), that one is just blank). This acually helps me more than having the equation.

Sorry, no kudos from me.

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast
exp(x)-1 and ln(x+1) could vanish I would not miss them. With those two gone, the road is paved for all of those icons to become triangles. That would be cool. Trading one large square for another just does not seem worth it. (Of course on a global scale I think there are MUCH better ways to visualize math in G).
ouadji
Trusted Enthusiast

from dthor : I think the icons for the exponential functions are clear

clear ... ????? ... my God !

from Darin.K : I think there are MUCH better ways to visualize math in G.

me too, really !

GregSands
Active Participant

While you're at it, why not simplify the whole palette by making two "polymorphic" functions: "power" and "log", with input "x".  Bases e, 10 and 2 could be selectable by menu, or an additional input could define the base.

Speaking of which, it really should be "y^x" and "log y(x)" to conform with the other functions.

ouadji
Trusted Enthusiast

While you're at it, why not simplify the whole palette by making two "polymorphic" functions:

"power" and "log", with input "x".  Bases e, 10 and 2 could be selectable by menu, or an additional input could define the base.

why not, good idea GregS  Smiley Very Happy

labview4steve

Here's my solution (crediting everyone who suggested each one of them)

power.png   log.png

Replace the whole pallete with just 2 new icons...(as GregS said)
ie one for Logs, one for powers

Replace them all with triangles (as darin K said)

Make them all polymorphic or input right selectable. (as gregS and ouadji said)

Make all of them have a graphic on it - albeit simplified with just a slope going up (for powers) or going down(exp)... a
s the original poster said... EASY!

The right click option or poly morphic doesn't need many options ie only 4... only e, 2, 10, and X and for log we need "natural Log", log2, log10 and logX.

ouadji
Trusted Enthusiast

from labview4steve : "here's my solution ... ..."

+1    pouce_levé.gif

Silver_Shaper
Active Participant

+1 Smiley Happy  for labview4steve.      

---
Silver_Shaper | CLD
DeltaJ

Why does this need to be polymorphic? If you just had the x^y and log y(x) where the base defaults to e when unwired (to give e^x and ln) and otherwise can be wired with 2 or 10 or whatever then that does everything that is needed! I just think making it polymorphic is overkill.....just replace the 10 or 11 icons discussed above with two and put them on the numeric palette!

I like them as triangles too - it would make things much more consistent!!!

altenbach
Knight of NI

This suggestion is along the basic principles of the Metro UI.