From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TurboPhil

Execution Trace Toolkit Feature - Show All Queues and Sizes

The Desktop Execution Trace Toolkit (DETT) can trace enqueue/dequeue operations, so I would think this is feasible:

Add a mechanism to like the Profile>Performance & Memory view to display all active queues in memory by name (for "unnamed" ones, use whatever unique refnum/identifier is available) as well as the max size and current # of items in queue. You could use the same "Snapshot" functionality as the Profiler tool.

A particular use case:

We were tracking a memory leak in a large application that resulted from an unbounded queue whose consumer was disabled. The standard DETT and Profile tools weren't showing where the excess memory consumption was coming from, since queue data does not "belong" to a single VI. Granted, you can see the individual enqueue/dequeue operations in DETT, and even highlight pairs, but that's a little cumbersome in a large application.

2 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

A good idea. Kudos.

MattP
NI Employee (retired)

I have many uses for this.  I consider this a hole in our current debugging tools.

Cheers,

Matt Pollock
National Instruments