LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qubirt

Execution Highlighter Lacks Dataflow Animation on Mac 2016

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined. 

Quite surprisingly, the execution highlighter in LabVIEW 2016 (on the mac) lacks the classic data flow animation that we have all become acustomed to in previous versions and on all available development platforms. (Actually, I am assuming this is true for linux as well.) On a reasonably complex diagram, the new behavior is more distracting than it is helpful, where dots apear briefly as they leave terminals and then reapear only briefly when they arrive at terminals. There are cases where the animated dataflow dots were too slow, which was annoying. However, this new behavior is far more annoying.

I understand that this feature still exhibits the classic behavior that we expect on Windows. So, why not on the mac as well? I am told that this was a design decision, not a new bug.

My idea is simply to propose the restoration of the classic behavior of the execution highlighter, with animated dataflow dots, to the mac version of LabVIEW, so that the behavior of the basic development environment remains platform independent.

Even better, it might be worth considering the restoration of the old behavior and also giving the user the ability to control the dataflow animation speed (even during execution). This feature, which many have requested in the past, would be a nice addition to the classic behavior  of the execution highlighter.

3 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> I am told that this was a design decision, not a new bug.

By who? That's false. It's a bug that we hope to patch sometime in the next couple months.

robdye
NI Employee (retired)

Some quick checks show that on Mac OS X 10.10.5 the animation dots are working, although there seem to be other anomalies regarding loops failing to redraw their contents in grey at the beginning of each iteration.

Can folks here report the OS they are running and whether they see the problem or not?

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.