cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackDunaway

Every GUI Programmer's Dream...

Available in LabVIEW 2012

GUIProgrammerDream.png

...the ability to bulk-create References, Local Variables, Property Nodes...

24 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

Hmmmm.

Oh, and hmmmm.

tst, you are the man. Really. (Good grief, and you introduced that like 4 months ago! This "idea of mine" is not a copy, but it's obviously not original) I want to see this feature adopted into the LV base package. (I have not yet even tried JKIRCF, but the reasons to do so are continually more compelling.)
Broken_Arrow
Active Participant

If you bulk create Local Variables, a dialog box should pop up and say "Squid!"

Richard

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

I KNEW IT! Someone would say it. It took longer than I expected (7 hours into the workday Central Time), but Broken Arrow is dissing the locals. What a ham.

ADMITTEDLY... I almost left locals out of the idea, but left them in just for "completeness" of the idea. I don't think I would ever bulk-create locals, and if I do, only once for every 100 times I would bulk create a ref or PN.

SO.... I really want this idea to get implemented, but it would not hurt my feelings 0.125bytes if Locals don't make it into the bulk-create feature.

Message Edited by JackDunaway (mechelecengr) on 10-26-2009 05:03 PM
muks
Proven Zealot

Yes a nice ask.

And @broken arrow

That would be nice lol!!!

Christian Mergl
Trusted Enthusiast
It's very easy to implement with VI Scripting btw.
Darren
Proven Zealot

I wrote a Quick Drop Keyboard Shortcut for this recently.  Allows you to bulk create references, locals, property nodes, invoke nodes, constants, controls, or indicators...basically anything in the right-click > Create menu.  You can get it here.

-D

P.S. - It's equally handy for just creating a single instance of the desired object.  I find I can type Ctrl-Space > ref > Ctrl-A faster than right-click > Create > Reference.

Message Edited by Darren on 10-27-2009 11:20 AM
muks
Proven Zealot

And again darren has done this already. Wonder how this guy is some 10 steps ahead.......... :smileyvery-happy:

and by the way can you attach it for lv 8.0?

NJKirchner
Active Participant

FWIW this is also possible with LabVIEW Speak  as a voice command "Create Reference" on the selected objects.

You can see it in action in the first QEC plugin pack video around minute 4 

Message Edited by NJKirchner on 12-07-2009 07:28 PM
herrlin

I think this is a bad idea.  The use of local variables should be very limited.  They should not be created in bulk.

Herrlin

Just trying to spread the LabVIEW love.