LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MGiacomet

Event Structure: Configurable timeout terminal

Tired of resizing an event structure and having to relocate the timeout constant?... Simply double-click on the hourglass and type the timeout value!

Of course, the option of wiring to the event structure timeout input should still exist. Just like the timed loop, where you can double click and set the period, etc.

Untitled.png

9 Comments
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Except that people wire timeout dynamically to that connector so it is not a "constant".

MGiacomet

X,

if you were to read the second paragraph, you'd learn that you could still wire it "dynamically"... Best of both worlds , huh?

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

OK, so I can have a value of 100 set in the connector and still connect a wire? That makes no sense to me. Show me another object in LV that behaves like this so that I can learn something.

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

I would much, much prefer the ability to 'pin' or 'dock' that constant so its position is fixed relative to the timeout terminal.

garrettmarsh

@X: 

Like this? So that if you connect any wire, it just overrides the text entry field.

timed loop.png

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Good point, I am not using timed loops.

I wouldn't mind, although I am either not using timeout or have it dynamically modified depending on user events (but rarely and in old projects).

I guess I am tempted to argue that if you need a timeout in your Event Structure, maybe there is a different way to structure your code to reserve the ES for handling user interaction and have the time critical things handled by (a) separate, parallel loop(s)? But that's way out of topic...

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

BTW, related ideas for the For Loop structure:

Remake For Loop

Let's get rid of the For loop the While loop and the Timed loop

Fixed Iteration FOR loop option

Some people really don't like free roaming constants!

Oh, and this one too:

Leave the For Loop as it is

bsvare

I prefer it to be moved out of the corner also. This just looks silly on the block diagram:

Timeout.png

Yes, some cases of the event structure change the value.

But I also wanted an initial value for it. Perhaps an two terminial, dynamic change and initial value, kinda like a feedback node(z node).

Certified-LabVIEW-Architect_rgb.jpgCertified_TestStand_Architect_rgb.jpg

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Bernard Books

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

bsvare -- I didn't know that it had an inner terminal until now. I just wire a separate tunnel in that case, level with the shift registers. I like where the outer terminal is now... I'd be tempted to just remove the inner terminal entirely. It isn't like the N terminal of For Loops where you can have a different inner value from the outer value. I suspect it was done the current way because of analogy with the N terminal, but the analogy doesn't hold.