LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wolfkil

Error line next to task line

Any idea that has received less than 5 kudos within 5 years after posting will be automatically declined.

With reference the posts in the below links

Reduce the size of the Close Reference VI

Increase the size of Property Node & Invoke Node

My suggestion does not bring any changes in size but a general re-layout of the error line. This will not only solve the two posts stated above but also reduce the "line crossing" in the "spaghetti code"

Smiley Frustrated             old version    

Smiley Happy                 my suggestion

6 Comments
PaulG.
Active Participant

I think we should leave these primitives as they are. Too many different opinions. This would help NI investigate and implement more ideas.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
wevanarsdale

Any VIs commonly used with Property and Invoke nodes should follow the suggested error terminal placement.  Of course this would break everything...

johnsold
Knight of NI

References have been at the top and errors at the bottom of VIs for as long as there have been style guides.  I do not think they should be changed.

I agree that the wiring does not look nice, but this is not the best answer.

Lynn

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

If I were to list bad choices I think NI has made along the way, placement of the error terminal would be close to the top.  This ship has sailed unfortunately.  And just to prove that there is not an obvious alternative, I used to use the middle two terminals leaving rows on the top and bottom for the other connections.  Wires can bend, wires can cross, as long as they do not pass behind other objects it is all good in my book. 

drakkar

I like the idea but I think the error cluster node should always be at the top. That way the convention for native labview vis will be uniform unlike right now, e.g. property notes vs close reference, etc.

error_cluster_node.png

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 5 kudos within 5 years after posting will be automatically declined.