From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altenbach

Eliminate Warning Dialog When Converting Express VIs

Right on the heels or Darren's idea, here's a related issue along the same lines that has bugged me for years. I think the same arguments (and more!) apply here also.

When opening the front panel of an express VI, I suggest to get rid of that warning dialog shown here.

The warning is wrong, because I can just go to the main VI and press "undo" to get the old configuration dialog back, including all customized values. This is not a dangerous one-way operation as one might think from the wording of that dialog!

At the same time maybe the right-click menu should be clarified. Instead of the innocent "open front panel", it should read "convert to regular VI" or similar, because that's what it mostly does. Opening the front panel after conversion is just an additional convenience. 😉

4 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I disagree on this one... it is dangerous because you have to know that you need to do undo. Express VIs are used by a lot of customers who may not realize that they are walking away from the only mechanism they know for reconfiguring the node -- rewiring the diagram may not be something they know how to do if they have to make a change. Deleting the case structure is the intended action, so warning that it will have its intended effect is silly. In this case, opening the panel is the intended action, and alerting that it will have unintended side effects is necessary. Renaming the option is a mixed bag. You could rename it to "Convert to regular VI", as you suggested, but then how would an express VI user figure out what option to use to view the panel? With the current setup, both parties are served.

I would support a "Do not show me this dialog again" checkbox.

altenbach
Knight of NI

> I would support a "Do not show me this dialog again" checkbox.

Yes, that's a good solution. 🙂

David_L
Active Participant

Agreed with AQ, it could be helpful for new developers.  But for old developers there should be a checkbox allowing you to never show it again.  New idea?   

Manzolli
Active Participant

Almost (because I'm not 100% sure) any change you do in the code can be undone. The message may not be clear enough, but it is not wrong. If somebody converts from Express to standard and do some additional changes (may be in other parts of the code), the undo will not work properly. In this case undoing will remove the additional changes too. It's obvious, but I have to say: the message implies (should make it clear) that there is no command to transform back the standard VI into a Express, even if nothing was changed in the converted VI.

Agree with Aristos. How can I kudos his idea?

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil