LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matt_S.

Element number on Build and Index Arrays

I think it would be an amazing feature if you could have the index of the input of the build array shown. LabVIEW already displays the world "Element", why not go ahead and append the index number to the end so when you have a 30 element build array you don't have to start from the top and count down to see which index you are about to wire to. Would be helpful on the index array as well!

LabVIEW Integration Engineer with experience in LabVIEW Real-Time, LabVIEW FPGA, DAQ, Machine Vision, as well as C/C++. CLAD, working on CLD and CLA.
4 Comments
altenbach
Knight of NI

Would go well with this idea. 😄

Still, I see some problems, for example what should it show if you wire an array to the upper input and a scalar to the lower input and hover over the lower input? I cannot know the array size at edit time and thus does not know the element index! Should it just say "input #2", for example?

RavensFan
Knight of NI

Actually seems to be a duplicate of this idea.

Build/Index array element index tip

Matt_S.
Active Participant

Indeed it would Altenbach!! Sorry for not seeing your suggestion (which, by the way, was much more elegantly stated).

I do see your point on the arrayed first input.... possibly it does just say "Input #2", as you pointed out. I think that still makes it easier to know what you are wiring to. More information is seldom a bad thing!

LabVIEW Integration Engineer with experience in LabVIEW Real-Time, LabVIEW FPGA, DAQ, Machine Vision, as well as C/C++. CLAD, working on CLD and CLA.
MaryH
Status changed to: Duplicate