LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteenSchmidt

Easy toggle tunnel mode

Hi,

After we have gotten several different new tunnel modes, it takes quite a lot of context menu exercise to change tunnel mode on structures:

Tunnel_Context_Menu.png

I propose a shortcut where we can click directly on the tunnel to toggle between valid modes:

Tunnel_Easy_Mode_Toggle.png

I say valid modes as not all modes are valid for all tunnel data types, for instance the "Concatenating" mode isn't allowed for scalars, but is still selectable in the context menu resulting in a broken scalar wire leading to the concatenating tunnel - the toggle should perhaps skip such an invalid setting? Or maybe not, in case you're preparing to change data type and just want to toggle the tunnel first, I don't know.

Tunnels on different structures have different modes. On case and event structures the modes you could toggle between would be 'Use Default If Unwired' on/off for instance.

Am I the only one feeling there's a long way into the tunnel mode menu now?

Cheers,

Steen

CLA, CTA, CLED & LabVIEW Champion
6 Comments
dthor
Active Participant

I don't know if I agree with the proposed implementation (I doubt I could remember which click did what), but I agree that it takes too many context menus to change.

I'd be OK with just moving the tunnel mode to the toplevel contect menu, so that the menu is (no image; I'm lazy):

Mode: Last Value

Mode: Indexing

Mode: Concatenating

------------------------

Condiditional

------------------------

Replace with Shift Register

Numeric Palette >

Array Palette >

Create >

------------------------

Properties

For the orginal proposal, I'd need to play with it first to see if I'd actually like it.

SteenSchmidt
Trusted Enthusiast

It's just one key: CTRL. And then click on the tunnels with the mouse 🙂

/Steen

CLA, CTA, CLED & LabVIEW Champion
Darren
Proven Zealot

A keyboard shortcut so I can avoid navigating a frequently-visited menu? Sign me up! 🙂

dthor
Active Participant

Ctrl+Click for cycling through the valid tunnel types: OK cool.

I guess I got hung up on Ctrl + DoubleClick for toggling conditional indexing.

I still would like to see the types be pulled into the parent menu though. Smiley Wink

Wart

Ctrl+Click to get a context menu at the mouse might also be an implementation to consider.

Thoric
Trusted Enthusiast

CTRL+Scrollwheel can be used to cycle through items in a number of places already in LV. I wonder if that might work here instead of a click? 

I'm not convinced on the double-click, because if I just want to change the mode twice it might get misinterpreted as a request to turn off tunneling (And I'm not one for waiting between clicks when I need to click more than once). That said, there's merit in this because I agree the RCM is tedious. Might just need a few variations on the idea fleshing out a bit.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)