From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cyro

Easy Picture Ring filling

At the moment the only way (I know) to fill a picture ring with pictures is to copy a picture item to clipboard and paste it into the ring. There is no way to programmatically fill the picture ring and afaik this is not planned to be implemented because the ring has to be recompiled and so there is no way at runtime (maybe with scripting?).

To simplify this I'm thinking of a way to convert a picture ring into an array of "2D Picture" items and back. Maybe over right click the ring and select "Convert to picture array" and then same way back by right clicking the picture array and selecting "Convert to picture ring".

The picture array can be filled and handled programmatically and with some programming you can create a simple manager to insert, swap, edit and ... your images, show them in a picture array, copy the picture array data in run-time, paste in frontpanel in edit mode and "Convert to picture ring". Done, easy and simple.

2 Comments
GregSands
Active Participant

Yes please!  I'm in favour of any solution to programmatically fill a picture ring, and this looks like a good simple approach.  Though having a run-time solution would be even better - I don't see why a Pict Ring needs recompiling with new pictures, it's not like it's an Enum. 

Hooovahh
Proven Zealot

I must say I am very confused by the lack of picture ring support.  I mean I don't use it often but I was very surprised to find that you can't use scripting to import pictures into a picture ring, even during development.  Maybe it would be abused and people would try to shove a 1080 video at 60fps, but for those of us looking for a simple animation, importing each frame one at a time is a big pain.