LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jarrod_S.

Don't scroll so fast on Front Panel and Block Diagram when selecting objects

I suppose this is a grey area between feature and CAR, but it is certainly a long-standing aspect of the LabVIEW editor that vexes me on a daily basis that could be improved.

The issue is that if you are dragging to select objects on the block diagram or front panel and you accidentally move the mouse cursor to the edge of the window, LabVIEW starts scrolling insanely fast in the direction of the mouse. By the time you've figured out what's happening and released the mouse, you're often 4-5 screen lenghts away the actual content of the diagram, and you must now manually scroll back to the main area. To make things worse, you're not really sure where the origin is anymore, so it takes a little blind searching to find the screen contents again. In addition, you're likely left with a selection that is not what you intended, meaning you have to start over (more carefully) from scratch.

I really don't see any reason to scroll the panel so terribly fast. At all. A slow, steady scroll, in my opinion, would always be preferable, since the fast scroll leaves the user no real control at all over what's being selected. If anyone really wants a chaotic super-fast scrolling operation to be preserved, I would perhaps accept a shift-drag option to enable this.

Jarrod S.
National Instruments
7 Comments
Pie56694
Active Participant

If you're not selecting items, you can mouse over the horizontal or vertical scroll bars and use the wheel mouse to pan the window around.  It's not going to help you, but maybe someone didn't know about it.  What might help you get back to the origin is to CTRL + SHIFT + N to bring up the navigation window, then click on the navigation pane where you want to go.  Thankfully, the navigation window is now part of the base package.

altenbach
Knight of NI

(Maybe all you need is a slower computer ... ;))

Maybe the scroll speed should be variable, and depend on the number of pixels between the cursor and the border.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> Maybe the scroll speed should be variable, and depend on the number of pixels between the cursor and the border.

According to comments in the code, LV already does this. On my Mac, I do see this behavior working correctly. I don't have my Windows box up at the moment... is it broken on Windows?

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

@Aristos Queue wrote:

> Maybe the scroll speed should be variable, and depend on the number of pixels between the cursor and the border.

According to comments in the code, LV already does this. On my Mac, I do see this behavior working correctly. I don't have my Windows box up at the moment... is it broken on Windows?

This does work correctly, but a behavior that might "play nicer" is to increase scroll rate as a function of time in addition to pixels outside the boundary.

altenbach
Knight of NI

It is definitely much better than it was in LabVIEW versions long ago, but on my slow computer it also depends on the size and complexity of the diagram. It gets a bit jumpy of the diagram is big and a bit too fast if the diagram is empty.

Maybe the scrolling should also be soft capped so it stalls at double of the current diagram window size and in order to pan further we would need to cross back in and out with the mouse.

altenbach
Knight of NI

Maybe the scrolling should stop (or pause) right before the last pixel of the existing code leaves the visible screen area?

Ray.R
Knight of NI

Kudos Jarrod,

This is such a pain...  Happens all the bloody time.  Hope to see this fixed or implemented soon.