LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregFreeman

Don't close search box after clicking on an instance!

Ever right-click a VI, reference, property node etc and have the search window pop up showing it is in multiple places. Then you double-click one of them or press go to and the window closes, only for you to realize that you didn't click the instance you were looking for?! So, now you have to go through the whole process again. Not to mention you don't know which one you just clicked on so you don't know how to pick up where you left off. Disaster. Please, just have the window stay open and your recent selection stay highlighted after going to that instance!

4 Comments
dthor
Active Participant

I wasn't aware this happens... I'll just press CTRL-G to cycle through all the instances, the search box doesn't close when doing that.

SteenSchmidt
Trusted Enthusiast

This doesn't happen. The search box just loses focus, you can easily navigate back to it, and it'll contain all the results with your previous picks checked off and your current pick now highlighted.

What you describe is an issue in the LV project though, when searching for callers or callees - in this case the result box closes when you jump to the result you pick in the box. This should be changed, but that's another issue.

Cheers,

Steen

CLA, CTA, CLED & LabVIEW Champion
fabric
Active Participant

Steen is right - in fact an idea already exists for that! Smiley Wink

10Things_Rob

While I will agree that the workarounds/features available for this issue are good, I think that a good overall solution would be to make the search box a floating window, much like the Context Help.