LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
shb

Do not loose focus after pressing enter

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined. 

At least numeric controls and string controls loose focus after pressing enter. This is especially unpractically when navigating by key. The focus should be held on all controls as it is on boolean controls.
6 Comments
muks
Proven Zealot
You can use a property node and key focus if that is what you are talking about. I think i am not getting the focus difference between a boolean and numberic control. Can you explain a bit more?
shb
Active Participant
Active Participant

In run mode, navigate to a numeric control by pressing the tab key. Enter a value and accept it by pressing enter. The control looses the focus. When you want to change the value again you have to navigate to the control. With string controls the focus is lost too when the value is accepted.

Now navigate to a boolean control by pressing the tab key. Toggle the value with the space key or with the enter key. The focus remains on the control.

I hope my explication is understandable now. If not I will retry it.

RavensFan
Knight of NI
A possible work around is to use the Value changed property node for the control and just set the focus back on that control programmatically.
muks
Proven Zealot
Yes you can programatically bring back back the focus and i still am unclear about your suggestion. How do you want the behaviour to change?
shb
Active Participant
Active Participant

I want the focus to stay on the control.

Imagine you decide to use the keyboard for controlling a LabVIEW program. Maybe you have no mouse and your laptop has a tiny little touch pad. Maybe there are a lot of controls you want to fill in and you do not want to always change between mouse and keyboard. Or maybe the customer told you to do so.

Anyway, you want to change the value of a control by keyboard. You press ten times tab for navigating to the control and type the new value. Because you want to see the result you press enter to accept the change. Now you want to try a different value. Because the focus is lost you press tab ten times to set the focus to the control, type the new value and ...

It would be much easier when the control would keep the focus. Then you could enter the value without navigating to the control again.

When you change the value of a Boolean control, it works like this. Why are there two behaviors? This seems unclear for me and

I implemented a workaround but it is a lot of work if there are many controls.

An other workaround would be to tell every customer to press tab and then shift tab instead of enter.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.