From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
P@Anand

Display the path of the missing VI

Implemented in LabVIEW 2014

After 2011 we have the option to ignore all the missing vi's which are missing. But after loading the project if a vi is loaded and if it has a missing vi then there is no way to check from where it has to be loaded (Expected path of the missing vi). So it would be a good option to check the Expected path of the missing vi after loading its caller (May be in the properties of the missing vi).

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
18 Comments
garrettmarsh

There is a way to do this if you are working within a project (if you aren't, now is the time to start).

If a project has a missing VI, simply double click that VI in the Project Explorer. By trying to open the missing VI, you force LabVIEW to go looking for it again. This shows the expected path, and allows you to browse to find it.

There would be no way to see the properties of a missing VI. The properties are stored with the VI, and hence would be missing as well.

P@Anand
Trusted Enthusiast

I am not talking about the vi's properties. when you right click a missing vi inside a vi you will get the properties option and when you go for it you can see the Label of the missing vi. So in the same way (or in a better way) if we can access the path of that vi then it would be good.

-----

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

It would be pretty easy to add this to the context help when you hover over a missing subVI. Would that suffice?

GregSands
Active Participant

Context help sounds good to me.

P@Anand
Trusted Enthusiast

"It would be pretty easy to add this to the context help when you hover over a missing subVI. Would that suffice?"

Yes. Whatever method it is, my intention is to get the path of the missing sub vi.

-----

Darren
Proven Zealot

If we add this to the context help, I'd like for there to also be a way to determine the path to the missing subVI programmatically. To my knowledge, there is currently no way in scripting to determine the expected path of a missing subVI. All we can get today is the subVI label, which is the name of the VI.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Darren: Use the VI method "Get VI Dependencies" and ask it to include the paths for missing subVIs. Then find the path that has the same label. Mostly works... doesn't work if you have multiple VIs with the same file name in different libraries.

And don't feature creep this idea. 🙂

Darren
Proven Zealot

I don't want it to "mostly work", I want it to work. And I would say my suggestion is not feature creep...this feature, like any other, should have a programmatic interface as well as a user interface.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Well, I had the feature done last night and was buddying it this morning, but since Darren says that programmatic access is a critical part, I guess I should just revert my changes. It'll be a few years before I am working on VI Server stuff again, so I doubt this idea sees the light of day...

... unless you'd like to admit that it is feature creep and let me submit it today? *grin*

Darren
Proven Zealot

These days, I'll take what I can get, I suppose.