LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
P@Anand

Display Shadow for Objects which overlaps other objects

In Front panel and Block Diagram when we place a control (Graph) over another control (Numeric) everything is fine and we don't have any clue that an object is overlapped. The only way to find the control (Numeric) is by going to the BD and navigating to the FP by using the Find Control menu. So it would be nice if we get a shadow for the object which is overlapping any other object. This is also applicable to the BD objects where there are chances where the VIs gets duplicate when we try to create a copy by using Ctrl+Drag. 

WaveformChart Overlapped control.png

Using the "Find Control Option" in BD

WaveformChart Overlapped control.png

WaveformandNumericSeperated.png

This would be simple if we come to know that an object is overlapped by a shadow

WaveformchartShadow.png

During the run time this shadow can be removed like how we use controls over the Tab container.

Please ignore if it is already suggested.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
5 Comments
Mythilt

I have some thoughts on this.

One, the shadow basically just says I'm over something, what it is and where it is, isn't clear (Front and Back can move hidden item above the control, but location could still be an issue, especially if layer position is important for other things.)

Two, Some controls have large transparent sections, since the control will be square, even if the image of the control isn't.  What happens when two transparent edge sections overlap?  You get a shadow when you really shouldn't have one.

Some X-Controls are a good example of this, the 3D Graph controls have a transparent section to the right of the graph due to the difference in size of the temperature bar and graph control bar. Assume you place an indicator under the transparent section.  You get shadow, because the X-Control is technically over the indicator.  This would then mask things if another control is accidently under the main part of the control, a false positive masking a real positive.

Three, I've often seen UI's where a transparent button is placed over an indicator as a quick system for acknowledge presses.  Example, transparent button over a string indicator used for error messages, you acknowledge error string by clicking on what appears to be the string, but is really the transparent button above it.  While shadow might dissapear in run mode, makes UI layout ugly in edit mode.

Jon D
Certified LabVIEW Developer.
P@Anand
Trusted Enthusiast

Point 1: We can also propose to show the location of the overlapped control by whatever means but in this case what happens when 2 controls of the same size are overlapped exactly. So displaying a shadow to let the user know that a control is there and need to be taken care of. 

Point 2: My proposal is to display shadows only in case a control/Object overlaps another completely where we do not have a clue where a control exist. So overlapping borders shouldn't be an issue here.

Point 3: I wouldn't feel that a control looks ugly displaying shadows during edit mode, all it matters is how does it look when it is running.

-----

Mythilt

Yeah, I'll admit that point #3 has more to do with my personal Layout OCD. Smiley Tongue  Still, it is often easier to visualize the final layout during execution when the UI is as close to run view as possible for obvious reasons.  But its a minor quibble.

Jon D
Certified LabVIEW Developer.
P@Anand
Trusted Enthusiast

A Ctrl+M would do 🙂

-----

JÞB
Knight of NI

A simple lightweight VIA configuration testing only for overlapped and hidden objects can be found here  Why? Because I like the idea of finding these developer errors but, I don't really like the proposed implementation.  I think the top object floating over hiding object is a bit distracting.  So I whipped it out and stuck the test configuration in the VIA Enthusiasts group.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay