LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ladejarlen

Display Case Structure cases as tabs

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.

I wish there was a option to display Case Structure cases as tabs in LabVIEW.

Something like this; 

Case Structure tab display

6 Comments
Intaris
Proven Zealot

Why?  It takes much more space and in situations where you have 20-40 cases, totally unworkable.

I can't work up any enthusiasm for this idea, sorry.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Personal opinion: I just did a flip through a random scattering of my own VIs -- I found none where I would have room for even a second tab. I don't think this idea would help me much.

Verywiseguy
I'd suspect that even if it were just an option (as someone will inevitably suggest making it just as an option), a number of people would 1) Use it, because people love tabs. and then 2) Make their case structures extra large just to provide space for the tabs.
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Regarding making it an option...

I generally frown on options to view diagram elements differently. It is the graphical language equivalent of having two keywords for the same concept. Sometimes it creates minimal disturbance -- like the long string or short string view of property nodes. Sometimes it would be completely baffling -- like the sometimes-made suggestion to let each user pick the data color for each type of wire (i.e. "on my machine, I want integers to be orange.").

This falls somewhere between those extremes, but it tilts toward the latter in my mind... minimal bang-for-buck while looking like a significantly different node and encouraging a different (larger) overall diagram layout. I wouldn't be hard opposed to it, but I'd need to see a lot of kudos before I'd think it was a worthwhile idea.

jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

Here's a Quick Drop plugin that's not even close to what you're asking for, but it does let you see all of your cases at the same time - https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-24058

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.