From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
P@Anand

Disable front panel control Update

Any idea that has received less than 3 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.

When I was debugging the RT code it was getting crashed whenever I open more than one VI which has large clusters. For displaying the values in the front panel certain amount of memory is required that was the problem. In some cases it is not required to see the values in the front panel and also it is not required to open the front panel either. So it would be good if we have an option for disabling the values updation to the front panel control and I believe it will increase the efficiency even when we open those vi's. This option can be made available in the control/indicator properties and also if we want to disable the whole control/indicators present in the vi the option can also be made available in the vi properties. By default the option will be enabled and the front panel updation can be disabled by removing the check mark in the check box.

Front panel control.png

Front panel control-vi properties.png

I guess it is not proposed before.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
4 Comments
Mr.Mike
NI Employee (retired)

There's a Defer Panel Updates property on a whole Front Panel.  Do you really think it's needed on a control-by-control basis?

DeferPanelUpdates.png

You set it to True when you want to stop updates, set it to False when you want to stat updating again.

-- Mike
P@Anand
Trusted Enthusiast

I know this option but you need to write this to all the vi or make it as a module and keep it in every vi. What will happen if I keep this in my RT code? It will load the front panel for all the vi right? When I build an exe for the RT I usually enable the option remove the Front panel and Block diagram in that case what will be the state of the property node will that execute without any exception?.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
AudioRuso

I ran into the need for this today and stumbled upon this post. This is a great idea and would be very useful especially in the diagram. 

My current VI connects about a dozen data sources and to debug I'm highlighting multiple controls (lists) and updating a lot of clusters.... it's great for testing and sure I can add diagram disables in the areas where data is written to indicators/local variables of indicators but it would be much easier and convenient to disable selective controls (or defer every x updates to help speed things up). 

Great idea!

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 3 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.