LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DailyDose

Dim the Block Diagram!

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Please!  Please, I'm begging you!  Regardless of how many Kudos this gets, please make it an option to adjust the background of the block diagram!  My eyeballs just cannot take it anymore.  I dim my screen but there is just way too much white.  I have to turn the lights off in the room.  Can we please make it an option to dim the background of the block diagram to a light grey or something.  Make it personable.  It just hurts so much to stare at it these days.  Especially with these new monitors and how vivd they are.

Spoiler
Dim, Darken, Block Diagram, Adjust, Background
7 Comments
altenbach
Knight of NI

Well, if you dim it too much, then people with old monitors will have so little contrast that things are hard to distiguish.

You can set the Block Diagram background color under tools...options...environment (This applies to new VIs).

Thus this idea is already implemented.

BDColor.png

To do it on a "per VI" basis, all you need is to do is use the coloring tool and color the background any shade of grey you want. Try it!

(Also, if the glare bothers you a lot, you should have your eyes checked for e.g. early catartact, etc.)

DailyDose
Active Participant

Man...i looked for this.  I swear I did.  All over NI... even through options.  Man... the answer is just so obvious.  Please accept my apology NI world and Admin who will now have to delete this.

DailyDose
Active Participant

Hmmm...ok so after implementing and testing, I'm curious.  Why are my settings not saved when I open pre-made VIs?  My settings only seem to apply when I load make a new VI.  Surely this setting should be separate from something like...view indicators/controls as icons.  But then, I am using 2011.  If this hasn't been implemented yet, then my suggestion should be now...make personal settings such as block diagram background, a separate setting that is applied to all VIs that are opened on that PC.

altenbach
Knight of NI

No, the setting only apply to new VIs. For old VIs, you need to color the diagram background manually and re-save them.

Since you can color the background of the front panel and diagram to anything you want at edit time, these settings should typically be retained.

DailyDose
Active Participant

No, this is something I will argue until death.  I can understand Controls/Icons traveling with their VI because of realestate of the block diagram.  But something like block diagram background color/dimness is only for personal use and should not carry with VIs but simply be a setting saved and loaded for that specific machine.  The only argument I can see being made is for color constants....and that's not argument enough.  Put a setting checkbox option that says, "Load VI settings or Personal Settings."  I shouldn't load a VI, change the setting, save it, push to source control, someone else opens, then has to change the setting, then saves it and so forth.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

DailyDose: I acknowledge your concern, but at the same time, I will note that plenty of users do hand color their diagrams to highlight specific types of diagrams. That's why it is a per-VI saved setting. To get both, it would be easy to say "if the saved color is 'default' then load and display what the user's current 'default' is"

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.