LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
aeastet

Develop anTool Pallete Wizard

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.

Make a tool pallete wizard that would make it easy to install custom software into the tool pallete. It should allow for the user to make the sub directories, Icons and everything that is need so it could be published without have all kinds of headaches. Making tool pallete menus has to be one of the worst things I have to do. This year with the FIRST libraries being added to the tool pallete a lot of them have no icons because of how hard this is. PLEASE make this easier to do!!!!

Tim
GHSP
9 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Are you wanting to extend this?

(View >> Tools Palette)

Untitled.png

I did not know that FIRST had a way to extend this.

aeastet
Trusted Enthusiast

No I am talking about developing a library then being able to easily import it to the tool pallete and directory. Give each folder an Icon. and make everything pretty. Right now if I place a library into the user library I can go in and manually edit the sub pallete and give it an Icon and make everything pretty. I was not very succesful with doing this same thing with the third party software for the WPI library for FIRST.

Tim
GHSP
crossrulz
Knight of NI

So you mean the FUNCTIONS Palette?  If so, I highly recommend using VIPM instead.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
aeastet
Trusted Enthusiast

That would be a great idea except we are told that we have to put our code int he WPI library in a specific folder. This would also require around 1000 teams to download the VIPM and install that. It should just be easier to add thing to the tool pallete.

Tim
GHSP
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I honestly have no idea what the "tools palette" is other than the picture I posted. Can you add an image to show what is being requested?

Also, VIPM is already installed with LabVIEW. It has been for several versions now.

Tools >> VI Package Manager...

aeastet
Trusted Enthusiast

When you right click on the front panel or block diagram. Like this:

Untitled-1.fw.png

Tim
GHSP
crossrulz
Knight of NI

Yes, that is the Functions palette.  The Tools palette is what Aristos showed.  But let's not let samantics get in the way here.

I would consider this a duplicate of either of these ideas:

Improve edit palette functions

Better Palette Set Editor

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

aeastet: Thank you for clarifying. I hate being pedantic about vocabulary, but I needed to be sure what we were talking about. Pictures are good! 🙂

Building a VI Package file (.vip extension) using VIPM is the best way to install toolkits/frameworks into the palettes, rather than having each individual user edit the palettes themselves. The teams would just run the installer and everything would be updated -- example finder, palettes, etc.

The palette API is being re-worked completely for the new platform.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.