LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mawodorfer

Dequeue/Enqueue Queue with In-Place structure

Request resolved by the introduction of Data Value References

First of all, this idea only makes real sense, when using SINGLE ELEMENT QUEUES (SEQ)!

The idea is, that you dequeue an element of a SEQ and garantee, that the element is returned (enqueued) to the SEQ by using an In-Place structure (see picture).

This would make it impossible to "lose" the data, because of a programming error....

inplace SEQ.PNG

Best Regards
Martin
5 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

Why not use a DVR then? It does exactly the same thing and you already use the IPE structure to access it.

> this idea only makes real sense, when using SINGLE ELEMENT QUEUES (SEQ)!

And you are using SEQ instead of Data Value References because...?

Note that, so far as I know, there are only two possible acceptable answers to this question...

1.     ... you are using named queues. In all other run-time behavior ways, DVRs are a superior implementation of this concept. And if you're using named queues, I would take that as a vote for adding named DVRs, not for improving SEQs... DVRs *are* what we did to improve SEQs!
  2.     ... you are writing code where you are doing the unlock and relock in two separate VIs, in which case using the Inplace Element Structure won't help you. This is one of the complaints that has been made against the DVR is that there isn't a way to separate the lock/unlock behavior.

All in all, I'd oppose this idea. If DVRs are insufficient for you, I'd rather put energy into improving them.

elset191
Active Participant

AQ wrote

Note that, so far as I know, there are only two possible acceptable answers to this question...

1.     ...
  2.     ...

3. You're using LabVIEW <2009 and are unaware of DVRs

Which of course also leads to opposition of this idea, because you'd have to upgrade anyway which means you'd have DVRs

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
mawodorfer

Thanks for the replys...

Frankly, I thought about that topic a lot, after posting the message here, and came to the same conclusions. The idea came from a grown mechanism of data management, I developed previously to Labview 2009 and the DVRs.

So I am happy that the DVRs combine unlock and lock in one structure, because that was the weakness of the SEQs!

So long....

Best Regards
Martin
MaryH
Status changed to: Declined
Request resolved by the introduction of Data Value References