From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
parthabe

Delete From Array Function - Output should be renamed!

Delete From Array Function - Output should be renamed as "Edited Array" instead of the current name "array w/ subset deleted", as the 'w/' often confuses new users (and users like me as well sometimes), whether it means 'array with subset deleted' or 'array without subset deleted'.

Instead of this, the name "edited array" as mentioned in the Help itself would suffice, and is much more clear. 🙂

Help - "Returns the edited array in array w/ subset deleted and the deleted element or subarray in deleted portion."

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
4 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

w/o = without

But there should not be abreviations in names like this.  I say just use "with" instead of "w/".

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
GuenterMueller
Active Participant

@parthabe wrote:

..., whether it means 'array with subset deleted' or 'array without subset deleted'.

I fully agree as I don't like the combination " ... with ... deleted".  Thus my favourite is "edited array".

parthabe
Trusted Enthusiast

@crossrulz wrote:

But there should not be abreviations in names like this.  I say just use "with" instead of "w/".

That is the craziness with English 🙂  - "Array with subset deleted". What does it mean - Array without the deleted subset or Array with the deleted subset? Smiley Wink

If it is reworded as "edited array", it is simple & crystal clear, like "initialized array", "subarray", "appended array", "output array", "interleaved array", "transposed array", etc.

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

parthabe: The problem is that BOTH of the outputs of that node are the "edited array". Thus the current name. And the English isn't ambiguous. "Array with subset" is not the same as "Array with subset deleted".

Array without subset = Array with subset deleted = Array without deleted subset

Array with subset = Array without subset deleted = Array with deleted subset

I can agree that the "w/" should be spelled out.

There's just one problem (and it's the reason this idea is probably going to be rejected): Labels of nodes are how scripting is done. Changing a caption is fine, but changing a terminal label breaks scripting code that is finding that terminal and wiring it. Since in English the labels and captions are the same text, I don't think we're going to be changing this. If it were a brand new node with a misspelling or if it truly had a misnomer name, R&D would consider it. But I doubt we're going to even talk about breaking a node as heavily used as Delete From Array.