LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TurboPhil

Default Probes should "Fit to Pane"

Available in LabVIEW 2015 and later

The "Probe Display" pane of most default probes should have indicators that are set to "Fit to Pane". The worst offenders, in my opinion, are Strings and Variants...I often find myself cursing the fact that I can't see more of the data, and usually have to copy & paste into Notepad++ or something to actually see what I'm looking for.

Yes, you can make custom probes for this behavior. But it should be native.

probe.png

13 Comments
RobertN

Nice Idea, and also it should be possible to change the radix for numerical indicators / viewing mode for string indicators.

Active Participant
This is so painfully obvious and trivial to change that I get angry every time I place a probe in each new version of LabVIEW.
Brett_J

Great Idea, It would be very useful for chart/graph probes.

Mads
Active Participant
JÞB
Knight of NI

As often as I create (and use) custom probes you might think I would go for this.  However, it just doesn't rise to the top of my list for two reasons.  1) I like MyProbes  Someone at the nidiface might make ugly ones without the exact feature I really wanted so I'm stuck creating custom probes again and got no benefit.  2) I really don't write that many bugs anyhowSmiley Wink so that 30 seconds per custom probe isn't going to save me hours of time.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
fabric
Active Participant

That's a LOT of kudos in less than a month...

NI: This one might actually be realistic for 2014! Maybe a quick job for super-Darren??

Darren
Proven Zealot

@fabric wrote:

This one might actually be realistic for 2014! Maybe a quick job for super-Darren??

The default probes are not written in G. And unfortunately, C code is Super Darren's kryptonite.

Now Super Stephen, on the other hand... 😉

GregFreeman
Trusted Enthusiast

Maybe in the interim, Super Darren can create custom probes that ship with LabVIEW?

JÞB
Knight of NI

You know,  This wouldn't be too hard to tackle ourselves and place over in the code sharing repo. see here https://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/saphir-toolkit/blog/2010/11/18/set-of-custom-probes.  some work has already been done by Saphir

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
YavannaKementári
Great idea, kudo'ed. I had a similar idea that the probe display should also allow for the user to change the size of the objects in the display (this would be particularly helpful for more complicated items, such as clusters and arrays). http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Resize-or-Change-View-of-Probed-Data/idi-p/1854469