LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
okubik

Create cluster out of selection

Available in LabVIEW 2019 and later. Right-click on a selection of controls, indicators, or constants and select Create > Cluster from Selection.

Hi guys,

I'm missing some very fast way how to create cluster out of selection. It could be done as it is shown here:

create cluster.png

I think since LV developers became familiar with Every GUI Programmer's Dream they are ready for the next step...

CLA, CTA, CLED
20 Comments
ToeCutter
Active Participant

Why didn't I think of this? Good time-saver, Kudo.

Also, (as your post seems to imply), cluster order based on vertical position of the individual controls FTW.

okubik
Active Participant

Well it should be as simple as possible. Now logic order of objects on the pane is done by the order in layers (which comes from control creation order).
I would suggest to keep it like it is...

btw. you can test it out on this code:

order test.png

...just play with control order in layers

CLA, CTA, CLED
wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

Could be helpfull if it worked from the front panel as well (on a selection of controls\indicators even decorations).

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

I can't say that I feel the need for this too often, so the current option of dropping a cluster and dragging controls into it is fine for me. That said, if you do want this now, it should be easy enough to write a QD shortcut which will do this, both for the FP and for the BD.

What happens if you mix controls with indicators? The result would be a control or an indicator?

What happens if you mix controls, indicators and constants? The result would be a control, an indicator or a constant?

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

As LV R&D -- seems doable, straightforward to implement. Might be useful to someone.

As LV user -- I can't imagine using this. When would I ever have a stack of constants or controls that I could draw a selection rectangle around? Generally on the same diagram where I'm going to be bundling those controls/constants anyway... so just wire to a Bundle node and create constant/indicator/control from its terminal.

I can't recall a time when I have those items free floating on my diagram and I wanted to package them up suddenly.

Now, if you change that popup menu to be "Create >> Class" and that created a new class with an Init method VI that bundled all of these things in and output a new class terminal, that I can see as useful.

Wart

Super useful for the case where you've been given someone elses awful code that uses the tiny connector pane.  This helps you easily start to break inputs down into clusters.

Or, the case where you've had enough scope creep that you need to turn what was a good design into one that uses a cluster.  These aren't super common, but they at least happen to all of us occasionally.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> Super useful for the case where you've been given someone

> elses awful code that uses the tiny connector pane.

Ah. That I will grant is a good use case.

Jaysha_18

Looks nice. but few issues need to address like combination of indicators and clontrols, Cluster order etc.

Eric_BOB

Hi Few years ago i have creat rcf plugin do do that , and mutch more. http://lavag.org/files/file/150-convert-to/

Perhapse that can help.

Eric Bobillier