From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgcode

Create an Array Control on Indexed Output Tunnel when I Select 'Create Control'

This is a little annoyance of mine when I want a shortcut to create a Control (and it doesn't behave as expected)...

...when I popup on an Indexed Output Tunnel of a For Loop and select Create Control LabVIEW always creates a scalar Control, it is only when I select Create Indicator do I get an array (which I then convert to a Control). If I wanted a scalar Control I would popup on the scalar wire.

Thanks for listening 😉

Create Control.png

Certified LabVIEW Architect * LabVIEW Champion
3 Comments
RavensFan
Knight of NI

There is probably a logical reason for this.  The tunnel has both an input side and an output side.  The input side is a scalar, the output side is an array.  When you create a control, it is going to be based on the input side since that is where it is going to connect assuming it is able to make the wiring connection.  When creating an indicator, since it will want to connect to the output side, it will create an indicator that will match that datatype.

For grins, try doing a create constant and see what datatype pops up.  It looks like a scalar as well since a constant is generally a source of data rather than a sink.

RoyA

I agree with Ravens Fan on this.  Even if you had a menu selection to allow you to 'create an Array Control' you would end up on a broken wire and you would break the wire exitting the tunnel as it would then have an added number of dimensions that whatever is downstream would not match.  When you click on the tunnel and 'Create a Control' you ARE clicking on the wire (in effect).

Do it the way all of us do.  1. RT-Click on tunnel, 2.  Create an indicator, 3. RT-Click on indicator, 4. change it to a control, 5.  Disconnect the control from the tunnel. 6. move it to where you want to use it.

jgcode
Active Participant
Yes, well, the while point of the Idea is to avoid 6 steps to do what I want. One of the great things about LabVIEW is that there are a number of ways to do things faster. Just like the scalar that is created, the array control would not be connected to my code (as that does not make sense). I just expect that when I click on the tunnel output which is an array, I get an array...
Certified LabVIEW Architect * LabVIEW Champion