LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darin.K

Count input for Unflatten from String

I use Unflatten from string (UFS) a lot.  Most of the the flattened data, however, comes from outside LV and as such does not use an I32 to encode the length of strings and arrays.  That leads to a lot of branching and bending of wires.

NewUnflatten.png

I would like to make the boolean input (Includes length?) polymorphic to accept numeric types to specify the number of elements in an array or the length of a string.  I was too lazy to draw it, but I would also like it to promote the type input to an array if the count is wired so I only need a simple scalar constant to specify the type instead of the array constant (think Read from Binary File without the cluster of array business).  Allowing a cluster of  N numerics to specify ND arrays would be very welcome and permit compile time error checking.  1D arrays for dimension sizes could work as well, but the error checking would be runtime only.

I desperately want the boolean input to be overloaded since it is a straight shot from the output of the previous UFS.

1 Comment
Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

I was even being generous in my top image, I have to multiply by 8 (left-shift 3 bits) to get the desired result.