LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altenbach

Converting strings (control/indicator <> constant) should retain display format

We can right-click a string object and change the state (control, indicator, constant, array, element) by right-clicking. Unfortunately, the current behavior is (partially) inconsistent in the way the display format (normal, /-codes, pass, hex) is handled. Here are some results (list is incomplete), the symbol <> means in either direction.

Control<>indicator: The display format is retained

Array<>array constant: The display format is reset to "normal". *(Also see below)

Control|indicator<>constant: The display format is reset to "normal".

(*note that if I drop a string constant into an empty array container, the format and element size is retained. Converting to array using right-click should do the same!)

Whenever a conversion involves a diagram constant, the current display format is lost. I think it should be retained!

1 Comment
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I'd add: when creating an array from an element, create it with a single element identical to the starting one...

BTW, the Change to Array feature is a LabVIEW Shortcut Menu Plugin, not a native function, so you could in principle modify it to do what you are asking (Check Execute Change Constant to Attay of Elements.vi in C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2016\resource\plugins\PopupMenus\edit time panel and diagram\Change Constant To Array Or Element.llb